Everyone can agree that a dog is man’s best friend. In order to fully enjoy the benefits of having a pet, it is imperative that precautions are taken to ensure good health. One way that pets can easily get ill is by being fed the wrong kind of food.
There are certain things that are unhealthy , even dangerous for your dog. Most of them are common food items found in many kitchens. Many a dog owner has made the mistake of giving harmful items to their pet. I will go on to highlight 10 risky foods you should to avoid to feed your dog.
Risky foods you should avoid to feed your dog
Grapes and Raisins
- Dairy products
- Fat trimmings
- Plums and Peaches
- Raw eggs
The first of which is chocolate. A lot of people make this mistake. They assume that giving their dog chocolate is akin to giving him a treat. However, chocolate has been seen to be poisonous for dogs. The most dangerous type of chocolate for dogs are dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. The ingredient in chocolate that is harmful for pets is called theobromine. Theobromine causes vomiting, diarrhea, heart problems, tremors and seizures. A number of dogs have died from this.
Another dangerous food item is Xylitol. Xylitol is found in candy, baked goods, gum toothpaste and some diet foods. It is so dangerous that it can cause your dog’s blood sugar to fall and can eventually cause liver failure. The early signs are vomiting, lethargy, coordination problems. In a few days, liver failure ensues.
Even foods that are somewhat healthy can poison your dog. Avocado is one of such. Avocado contains a compound called Persin. In large quantities, it can poison your dog.
As a dog owner, you might want to avoid growing Avocados in your yard, as even the leaves seed and bark contain Persin.
Alcohol is also very toxic for dogs. It has the same effect o the animal as humans. However, it takes a very small amount to harm your dog. Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, breathing problems, coma and eventually death.
You should also keep onions and garlic away from your dog. They can kill red blood cells, causing anemia. A very small dose may not do any harm. However, eating a large amount even once can cause poisoning. You should look out for signs like weakness, vomiting, breathing problems.
Caffeine can also be fatal for dogs. You should keep your dog away from colas, cocoa and energy drinks. If you suspect that your dog has had caffeine, you should look out for signs of restlessness, fast breathing, muscle twitches and so on.
One of them is grapes and raisins. These can cause renal failure. The first thing you notice is vomiting. Subsequently, the dog becomes sluggish and depressed.
One very common mistake dog owners make is to give their dogs ice cream. Generally dairy products give dogs diarrhea and other digestive problems. Dairy products can also trigger allergies, leading to itching. It is also important to avoid Macadamia nuts. Just about a handful can trigger vomiting, muscle shakes, high temperature and weakness in the legs.
One very surprising discovery for dog owners is that fat trimmings from meat should not be given to dogs. This is because it can cause pancreatitis.
You should avoid giving your dog Plums and Peaches. The seeds can block the dog’s intestine. The pits also contain cyanide, which is dangerous to humans and animals.
On a final note, you should avoid giving your dog raw eggs , as they can contain Salmonella or E.coli, which can make the dog very sick.
Although I have highlighted some risky foods to avoid feeding your dog, the list is by no means exhaustive. If you are in doubt about any food item, or you think your dog has been poisoned, you should consult your vet to ask for advice.