Ever wanted to grill food inside your home? Do you worry about messing your indoors with lots of smoke, oil splatter or ash from a barbecue grill? Or are you searching for the best grill pan reviews? Well, you can still enjoy the same or even better grilling results while indoors, in a small apartment without having to invest in the traditional bulky grill. All you require is a good grill pan. This cooking appliance has become popular due to its reliability, small size, portability and good results. In fact, you may be weighed down by the numerous products readily available in the market. Fortunately for you, we reviewed different items and came up with the following guide.
What is A Grill Pan?
A grill pan is a type of frying pan that mimics the results you get while grilling on the conventional grill. However, this time around, you will be using a pan also known as griddle pan or broiler pan over an electric stove, glass top stove, induction cooktops or any other heat source. The pan features parallel ridges that will leave marks on the food thus appearing as if it has been grilled outdoors.
The 5 Best Grill Pan Reviews
Le Creuset Square Skillet Grill Pan Review
Calphalon Unison Nonstick 12-Inch Round Grill Pan Review
MAKER Homeware Rectangular Steam Grill Pan Review
Rachael Ray Hard Anodized II Nonstick Dishwasher Review
Lodge L8SGP3 Cast Iron Square Grill Pan Review
Types of Grill Pans
Grill pans are usually classified according to the construction material and the following are the common types:
- Plain Cast Iron: This is among the most popular in the market and is loved for its good heat retention, durability, and excellent cooking results. This pan usually features ridges that are between 4 and 6 inches high.
- Stainless Steel: Pans constructed from stainless steel are also common and are desired because of their lightness, longevity, resistance to rust and easy maintenance. However, they don’t offer very good heat-retention
- Aluminum: Although not popular as cast-iron pans, aluminum is also another material of choice. It is light, resistant to rust and corrosion, heats fast and easy to take care of. Its heat retention is however not as desirable as cast-iron.
Most modern grill pans are now coming with a non-stick surface that limits food from sticking. The surface is also much easier to clean although it may get damaged when cleaning using abrasives, rubbing compounds or too much force.
How to choosing the Best Grill Pan?
To identify a good product from the many on offers, it’s vital to center on the following aspects:
- Weight: A good accessory will be of the right weight. Not too light that it feels uncomfortable or too heavy you end up struggling to use it.
- Heat Conduction: The right pan will heats pretty fast allowing for quicker meal preparation. It will also distribute the heat evenly.
- Quality: A top griddle pan is strong, durable and made from quality materials such as cast-iron, heavy-duty aluminum or premium steel.
- Heat Retention: Heating is one thing and retention is another. A good item doesn’t lose the heat easily and will still feel hot even after the stove has been switched off.
- Ridge Quality: To resemble food cooked in an outdoor grill, the ridges will be well-defined and high and not to flat or rounded.
- Non-stick-ability: To stoop food from sticking on the surface and possibly getting burnt, top griddles come with a nonstick surface.
- Drainage: Proper drainage is key to easily removing the oil, grease and fluids that buildup while cooking.
All the above-listed products are fit for grilling different kinds of foods (meat, fish, vegetables…) at home; camp, on a stove, bonfire and other places. They are made using high quality and sturdy materials such as steel and cast-iron that heat fast, retain heat and also distribute evenly. You will also notice the products come with friendly-surfaces that stop food from sticking.
Nonetheless, the Le Creuset Square Skillet Grill Pan is the best product in our opinion. It scores better in terms of handling, heating efficiency, ease of cleaning and quality of the nonstick surface. But, some users complain of its heavy weight, small size and the possibility of rusting if the protective coating breaks.
After reading the above best grill pan reviews and following the guide, do you agree with our views? If not, which product deserves the top spot? Kindly share your views and comments with us.