“Which is stand mixer is the best?” You probably are scratching your head trying to quickly revisit the different types of mixers you have seen or even used. However, you may be confused on which type is the best. While a particular type may have stood out in terms of speed and efficiency, it may have scored poorly in regard to silence and capacity. Or maybe you own a stylish and durable piece but it consumes too much power or isn’t suited for heavy-duty applications. Such are reasons that drive people to first going through the best stand mixer reviews so as to learn more about this kitchen appliance and also save time and effort when making the right choice.
What is Stand Mixer?
A stand mixer is a device used in creaming, mixing and kneading batter or dough in the kitchen. It consists of a large bowl that holds the mix ingredients (flour, sugar, eggs, butter, margarine, salt, milk and much more), a heavy-duty motor where a whisk, whip and other attachments are inserted. The rotating motor turns the agitator and attachments allowing the ingredients to be mixed.
5 Best Stand Mixer Reviews
We know that finding the right stand mixer is challenging to both experienced users and newbies. And to make the search easier and more fulfilling, we reviewed different products and now present the best stand mixer.
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer Reviews
KitchenAid KP26M1XNP 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Bowl Reviews
Hamilton Beach 64650 6-Speed Classic Stand Mixer Reviews
Cuisinart SM-55BC 5-1/2-Quart 12-Speed Stand Mixer Reviews
KitchenAid KSM75WH Classic Plus Series Reviews
Types of Stand Mixers
There are different types of stand mixers in the market and each comes with its unique features, specs, advantages and also disadvantages.
The following are the most popular types:
- Vertical mixer: Also referred to as a planetary mixer, this type consists of an offset shaft that turns an agitator creating an effect similar to that of the planetary system. The mixing bowl remains at the same point during the mixing.
- Spiral Mixers: This is also known as a dough mixer and consists of a mixing bowl and spiral-shaped agitator. The agitator remains stationary while the bowl keeps turning. It is preferred for mixing large dough quantities. Unlike planetary mixers, this type doesn’t come with many agitator attachments.
- Vertical Cutter Mixer: This stand mixer consists of a high-powered motor, a large covered mixing bowl and an internal agitator. Due to its closed design, the mixer is quite versatile and suitable for many operations. However, it’s not as precise as the spiral or vertical type when it comes to mixing batter and dough.
Materials Used to Make Stand Mixers
When choosing a stand mixer, it’s vital to pay close attention to the material of construction. The common types are as follows:
- Stainless steel: This will be found on the mixing bowl and is preferred due to its elegance, durability, easy maintenance and rust/ corrosion- resistance.
- Cast Iron: This material is used on the mixer’s body and is revered for its stability, strength, and longevity. It will be powder coated or highly-polished to enhance its appearance and make it easy to clean or wipe.
- Zinc: Some stand mixers come with zinc cast body. This material is known for its resistance to corrosion, rust, and breakage and wears tear.
- Glass: Some mixing bowls are crafted from glass which is easy to clean doesn’t rust or corrode and is hygienic. The bowl will come in plain or frosted form.
How to choose the Best Stand Mixer?
Before settling for any type of stand mixer, its helps to focus on the following aspects:
- Capacity: A small product is suitable for a single person, a couple or a small family while a large family or restaurant will do with a higher capacity mixer.
- Area of Use: Stand mixers for use on a counter top are much smaller (10 quarts or less) than those that will be placed on the floor (more than 10 qt.).
- Drive System: This mixer operates on either belt or gear drive system. Although a belt a driven system may be much smoother and more silent, it is more-likely to slip under heavy operation. A gear system may be a bit noisy and more expensive but won’t slip even under demanding environment.
- Mixer Speeds: A good mixer will come with variable speed that allows you to select the most desirable. Some instances require high speeds, other require moderate while in some low speed is the best.
- Horsepower: High-powered stand mixers feature a higher horsepower electric motor and can handle thick and stiff dough. But, they may consume more power. Smaller types come with low horsepower and are ideal for small to medium mixes.
Other important issues include bowl lift, brand reputation, the frequency of use, the material of construction, noise level and design.
What do we recommend?
The truth is it wasn’t easy selecting the best stand mixer. In fact, you will realize that they share lots of similarities such as decent speeds, powerful motor, and relatively-silent. They also come in elegant and user-friendly design, for instance, bowl lift design, tilt-head which improve reliability, efficiency, and productivity.
Nonetheless, we find the KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan stand mixer to be the best of the best. It is well-designed, elegant, comes in a range of colors, and features a strong and able motor. It is ergonomically-designed, comes with a comfortable handle and remains firm on the countertop.
So, after going through our best stand mixer reviews, which product do you think is best suited for your needs? And have you ever used any of the items featured above? Why don’t you share your views, experiences, and suggestions with us?